Saturday, November 26, 2011

Physical, Spiritual, & Psychological Wellbeing



Unit 3, Part I


On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being optimal wellbeing, this is where I rate myself under these three categories:
Physical Wellbeing: I rate myself an 8 because I am not only aware of how necessary it is for my body to get regular exercise and to be eating fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and fiber everyday, but I do it as well. I may not have the most perfect physically fit body but I do take care of myself and I am a pretty healthy individual. My goal for this area of wellbeing is to get to that perfect physically fit body by continuing what I am doing through exercise and eating well. Something that has helped me with the act of exercising (because it can be hard to find your groove) is finding a routine in which you will continue to do regularly. I began a routine called “Look Better Naked” which is a healthy eating and exercise regimen that caters to women’s health in every biological aspect of the physical body. I work out 4 times per week alternating cardio and featherweights and making sure I eat specific “Key” foods at every meal. As long as I get in my body everything I need to and exercise the days I should, I can eat whatever else I want. The funny thing is that I’m usually not craving the bad stuff by this point. If I can continue this I will make it to my goal faster than I think.


Spiritual Wellbeing: I rate myself a 9 because I carry a strong faith of something far beyond what the eye can see. I believe my God is everything and everywhere. My openness and trust within myself has helped me grow this aspect of my life tremendously. My goal is to find love in every single person I come across in my life no matter who they are or what they have done. I do not want to be judging, angry, revengeful, or hateful towards anyone or anything since this is exactly what will hinder my journey towards my complete wellbeing. What has helped me thus far has been connecting with the earth, nature, in order to feel and know again that we are all one; that nothing can exist without the other; that the path I chose to walk down effects the other people in my life. To recognize this without effort is my ultimate goal within the realm of my spiritual wellbeing.



Psychological Wellbeing: I rate myself an 8 because although I have trained my mind through many stillness and calming techniques, I still have far to go to reach integral health. Meditation is wonderful but it is still a struggle for me. Ultimate concentration and awareness is my main goal for this aspect of wellbeing. Perhaps if I train my mind a little harder through meditation more often, I can reach this goal to where it can be an easier feat no matter where I am. It is my positive attitude that has given me the much needed boost in this aspect of my wellbeing; I’ve practiced this every single day for years and it has made a tremendous shift in my view of life and ultimately the core of my happiness.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Emily, It appears as though you have a good grip on things. I feel that there is always room for improvement. I do not think I know a single person who can rate themselves as a 10. Keep working on yourself and you will reach your goals! For me it is that when I reach my goals I always set new ones for a continued forward motion! The connections we make for our mind, bodies, and souls will lead us in the right direction. And BTW considering how young you are you have already made great strides in you total wellbeing! Congrats!

    Kelly Soper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, you have a very insightful point of view. I hope you see just how much it helps you later in life and now. I too have rated myself individually in each area of topic. I was surprised by my own ratings. It is funny what we find when we evaluate ourselves. You seem to be on a great path.

    ---Anita Rachel Scott (Goehring)

    P.S. I congratulate you in the fact that you are about to graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily it sounds like you are in a good place in your life but at the same time yet are working to not only working to maintain but improve how your physical, psychological, and spiritual wellness is. I too feel like I am in a good place but need more work in the physical area:) I am going to look into the book you referenced as it seems like a positive thing for you. I like exercising but don't make the time to do it and eating well is something I truly enjoy doing. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete