Thursday, January 12, 2012

End of Course Review

In the unit 3 assessment of my physical wellbeing, I rated myself an 8 because at the time I was following a specific diet and exercise routine. Since then I have continued and sustained my routines but what has changed is my new awareness of the higher levels of my biological aspect of health: body-mind and body-spiritual. From the Dacher text I learned ways to deepen my understanding and knowledge about how much control I really do have over physiological health using exercises such as biofeedback. I think that I would still rate myself an 8 or a 9 under this aspect because although my knowledge has expanded, I must practice what I’ve learned in order to develop it further.

In the same assessment from unit 3, I rated myself an 8 under my psychological wellbeing. I felt that my mind was pretty healthy since I have been a positive thinker, believer, and doer. My positive outlook has always benefited me and anytime I felt myself speaking or feeling the negative, I mentally shake myself awake and turn it back around. I would rate myself a 9 still because although I’ve developed my psychological wellbeing very much in this class, I know there is always room for improvement so I do not think I’ve made a 10 yet. Depression used to grab hold of me and sink me into random mental darkness. But since my positive outlook change (which happened a couple years ago) I have began to develop strong ropes that pull me out fast when I feel myself falling. I have come a long way and I now know even more ways to practice my mental fitness so that the feeling of peace is never far away when I need it.

Under my spiritual wellbeing from unit 3, I rated myself a 9 because I thought I was pretty high up on the spiritual level of health. At this point I think I should have given myself an 8 because from what I now know, all the new techniques and knowledge, I think that I am truly a 9 now. I have experienced a greater spiritual wellbeing state since practicing all the wonderful exercises from this class. The calm-abiding, loving-kindness, visualization, and simple breathing techniques has truly developed all the aspects of my life since the beginning of this class.

I plan on continuing my mental fitness practices to develop and reach integral health. Every experience in the class has been beneficial and rewarding because I see instant results in my mood, emotions, and peaceful states. I know that I will continue on what I’ve learned and teach these points to my loved ones and patients that I will have in my future. My Dacher text will stay on my nightstand even after this class is over. This is one of the most valuable courses Kaplan has offered me and I am so grateful to have gotten into it.

4 comments:

  1. Emily I have really enjoyed your blog. I enjoyed the way it was set up but I really loved the spirit I felt from your words. I appreciate your openness in how different exercises worked for you and found it to be something very pleasant that I looked forward to reading. I am happy with your growth and and the areas your are doing well, I hope that you either stay there or continue to grow (when the time is right). In the area that need work-be patient and kind to yourself because the progression will happen. Thank you for your contribution to class. I wish you the very best:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nychelle. I wish you the very best as well!

      Delete
  2. Emily,
    I too have found great benefits to the exercises introduced in this course. I think my favorite is the subtle mind and visualization techniques. I enjoy how the exercise creates a sounder mind in the end. I am going to incorporate meditation hoping for the same effect. Maybe I will also include the techniques learned in the course. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,
    From the honesty that I read in your words, I believe that you will make a wonderful healer for your family, friends, and future patients. You already have a very good understanding of your health, and how it affects you. But, I like that you can admit to any misjudgments because you are able to give yourself a lower score than what was first given. So I will be one of the first to say thank you for all your emotional assistance in this class

    ReplyDelete