The universal loving-kindness meditation exercise from page 93 of our Dacher text was very enlightening. My mind willfully accepted the words I said as I imagined all people rising above their suffering and floating on clouds of health, happiness, and wholeness. It was truly a divine experience for me. I discovered how easy my mind allowed me to believe these words; how much my whole being wanted this for all people.From our Dacher text, the Integral Assessment meditative practice allowed me to discover that within the worldly aspect of my life is where I have always had the most difficulty. Within any job I’ve had, it has been out of survival. I have worked in many restaurants as a server and had recently worked in a technical support department; all of which has service responsibilities. I want to give my service, which is the highest level to achieve in this realm of life. But I must “choose” it, not “put up” with it in order to make money and survive. So this is also the area that I want to focus my growth and development on. After reading chapter 11 on Flourishing in the World, my view of this aspect completely transformed; it slapped me awake. I want to turn my life into a service of myself; taking each opportunity to practice strengthening my inner self in order to reach my highest potential. It doesn’t matter what one does to make money, it only matters if what one does is able to use it as leverage for reaching integral health and flourishing.
I am not currently working right now but I am out in the “world” everyday: running errands, waiting in lines, dealing with people over the phone and in person, etc. I run into many angry people on the street and in stores and they usually are able to light a spark of madness within me. I want to realize these opportunities before that spark ignites and reach deep within myself to practice my loving-kindness in order to find an inner peace. Diffusing all situations that stem from anger or frustration will be the goal of such opportunities.
Emily,
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you found that "place" to relax, meditate, and evaluate your life. This will allow you to take advantage of all the opportunities that you have that will help you flourish. I am glad you mentioned that is does not matter how one supports and makes money for themselves,but how one utilizes that resource to reach integral health and flourish. Good post.
LaVenus
Hello Emily, I agree that the universal loving kindness practice was quite enlightening. I have found lots and lots of usful informatin in this book. Like you I found great awareness in the worldy section of this chapter. I went to work this week with a different attitude. Work for me was just that work to pay the bills. Well, what I learned is if I have to be there I might as well make it worth while. By practicing making work a spiritual connection by sevicing others makes a whole lot of sense. I hope I can quickly make this practice a natural connection so that my busy season can bring calm, spiritual, and service. Perhaps, this will also make it easier to accomplish everything I must do in a day as well.
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog, very upbeat.
ReplyDeleteI have been a server many times and found myself in very toxic environments where I would decide that all I could do was to make sure that I was doing something good for someone by making them happy for that day. I remember once it occurred to me that the convenience store clerk that I frequented always seemed unhappy so I began to smile each time and tell them to have a great day. It began to work and found that if I started a positive expression I often get the same in return.
Emily I too really enjoyed the mini loving kindness exercise this week and am trying to make it a daily habit because it was quick to do and the words were from my heart. I really do want to help people end their suffering and to feel healthy, happy, and whole. I guess doing people's hair is definitely a way to help with that (my current profession) and when I get my degree I will assist them with this in a different way but will still be helping! I wish you nothing but the best. Thank you:)
ReplyDelete