
For the time it took to complete the Loving Kindness practice, I truly felt the diminishing of self-centeredness; just as it said it would. I understand I will have to practice this twice a day for the next week in order for it to be a more natural state of mind, though. This was without a doubt a beneficial exercise because it gave me the chance to feel the tenderness and love that I hold for my son and my pets to others; to channel that dense loving kindness to people that I know are suffering, strangers that I do not know, and to “enemies.” I do not label anyone in my life, past or present, an enemy by the way. Instead, I think of the people who have wronged me or my loved ones who I know hold much pain and suffering inside. I have realized these people are who need someone like me to breathe in that dark cloud that surrounds them and to then release my positive energy that is filled with health, love, joy, peace, and happiness towards them. I recommend this exercise to others because we all need this opportunity to realize a greater potential that Dacher speaks of within his book, Integral Health, and his audio CD.
The concept of a “Mental Workout” is exactly as it states: exercising the mind in order to reach its full potential. Just as one exercises their muscles at the gym in order to become more fit, strong, toned, etc, our minds need a good workout just as often in order to keep it healthy, strong, fit, and efficient. The research surrounding the benefits of mental workouts indicates that a developed compassionate mental state “increase[s] [the] synchronization of gamma waves and organization which suggests a higher order of mental integration” (Dacher, 2006, 63).
I will implement mental workouts in order to foster my psychological health by dedicating certain time periods within my day that I can devote to this practice. Dacher recommends 5-15 minutes, twice per day (2006, 66). I will begin with the Loving Kindness workout for the next week and will progress to the other exercises as our course progresses, too.
The concept of a “Mental Workout” is exactly as it states: exercising the mind in order to reach its full potential. Just as one exercises their muscles at the gym in order to become more fit, strong, toned, etc, our minds need a good workout just as often in order to keep it healthy, strong, fit, and efficient. The research surrounding the benefits of mental workouts indicates that a developed compassionate mental state “increase[s] [the] synchronization of gamma waves and organization which suggests a higher order of mental integration” (Dacher, 2006, 63).
I will implement mental workouts in order to foster my psychological health by dedicating certain time periods within my day that I can devote to this practice. Dacher recommends 5-15 minutes, twice per day (2006, 66). I will begin with the Loving Kindness workout for the next week and will progress to the other exercises as our course progresses, too.
Reference
Dacher, E.S., M.D. (2006) Integral health: the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA. Basic Health Publications, Inc. ISBN-13:978-1-59120-190-8
Emily,
ReplyDeleteI too enjoyed the exercise this week, and believe that I am receiving benefits of loving and kindness from just listening to it once. When asked to place love and kindness on another person, and then place that same emotion on yourself, it felt good. I felt like I was giving permission to myself, to love myself. This is a feeling I have to get use to, so I know I have to work on it constantly. Keep opening yourself up for positive aspects of life, and you will have no other place to go but grow.
LaVenus
It is always a pleasure tuning into your blog Emily. I enjoy reading about the way you have experienced the exercises and where your mind is. This was the first exercise (the loving kindness one) that I didn't really connect to. I understand that I may not always love every exercise but I felt that I should with this one because I truly feel like I have a loving kindess kind of heart and thought process (though I am could always be better). I think that I will have to create a loving kindess exercise that is a bit more like me and then I will be just fine. I am glad that you enjoyed it and wish you nothing but the best in your future exercises! Keep up the good work:)
ReplyDeleteEmily,
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed listening to the loving-kindness audio this week. I think that as a person when your able to let yourself put the loving and kindness on another person then that makes you feel better. I know that after doing the exercise I will be able to focus more on how I treat others and how I reflect on my own feelings and actions.
I think once we are able to put the loving kindness feelings onto other people then we have the wholeness that we should have.
I am glad that you enjoyed this exercise and I am really looking forward to the next one. I feel that I truly grow as a person with each of these exercises.
Patricia
Wow. That is great that you could feel the negative emotions becoming less and less and the positive ones growing stronger. That is a great accomplishment. I must say that it made me very happy to read this.
ReplyDelete---Anita Rachel Scott (Goehring)